Saturday-Sunday, August 24-26
Don’t be misled by the name, this is definitely not just any garage sale. The wait is over; Le Garage Sale, which only comes twice a year, is just around the corner. It’s no news to Austinites that we love local. We shop local and we buy local. The sale was created specifically to bring local, independent businesses that have a retail location in town and are not a part of a national or international chain or brand together in one place. Internet businesses that have a presence in the Austin community are also included in the sale.
The sale is held at the Palmer Events Center, and if you haven’t been before, it is bigger and better than you may expect. Over 80 retailers are represented at Le Garage Sale, and you can find items for men, women and children of all ages. Jewelry, clothes, shoes--you name it, it’s here. This is the ultimate sale for the savvy shopper.
Cultivate’s Top 5 Le Garage Sale Tips
1. Get there early. The best steals and deals get snagged early. Don’t get us wrong, there will be great finds all weekend, but if you’re looking to grab those coveted Kendra Scott jewels, we’ll see you at the bins first thing Saturday morning.
2. Plan ahead. Scope out the retailers here and get an idea of what you might be looking for and where you want to shop. We’ve had a hard time choosing our favorites, but here’s what’s at the top of our list: Adelante, Embellish, Kendra Scott, Langford Market, Ornamental Things (gorgeous handmade jewels!), Mellow Johnny’s (for looking sleek on those long bike rides), and Julian Gold (because a girl’s gotta dream big).
3. Wear something comfortable and something fitted. There aren’t any dressing rooms so our recommendation is to wear a tank top with leggings so clothes will easily fit over them.
4. Treat yo’self, but also treat others. Le Garage Sale is the perfect event to get stocked up on Christmas presents for your friends and family. When December rolls around, you’ll already be done with your shopping! And you’ll have that much more free time to enjoy eggnog and cider :)
5. Have cash! Admission to Le Garage Sale is $10 per day, and many of the booths will be “cash only.” Some will accept credit cards, but we recommend coming prepared. Those ATM fees can be killer. Also, don’t forget to bargain! Think something is overpriced? See if you can talk them down (especially on Saturday). The retailers want to sell everything they brought to the sale before the weekend comes to a close. And don’t’ forget—sales are final.
Saturday, August 24, 2013, 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Sunday, August 25, 2013, 12 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Admission Cost: $10 (cash only)
Food & Drinks: Local favorite, Jo’s coffee is available and there are also snacks, sandwiches, salads—and a full bar. You could literally spend the entire day
Location: The Palmer Events Center is located at 900 Barton Springs Rd.
Parking is available at the Palmer Parking Garage, adjacent to the facility with two entrances (from Barton Springs Road or Riverside Drive).
Parking Cost: Parking is $7 at the Palmer garage.