Austinites are gearing up for what will hopefully be the last “cold front” of the season. While we have it better off than most during the winter months, it’s still hard to be stuck indoors. Thankfully, there’s still plenty to do in town when temperatures drop (near) or below freezing. Here are our picks:
- Half off bottles at laV: Take advantage of laV’s cozy atmosphere and world class wine list on Tuesdays from 5-7pm when the restaurant offers bottles at half price. While you’re there, be sure to try Executive Chef Allison Jenkins’ newly expanded bar menu.
- Hot stone treatment at Away Spa: The warmth and pressure from heated stones will leave you feeling perfectly balanced and stress free. Bonus! The spa offers a locals discount.
- Karaoke at the Highball: If you haven’t been to the newly renovated Highball, you’re missing out. Be sure to reserve a themed room for karaoke in advance.
- “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” exhibit at the Harry Random Center: Learn all about writer Lewis Carroll and about the real girl who inspired his beloved children’s classic.
- Sake Social at Uchi: a favorite among Austinites, head to Uchi from 5:30-6:30 and get a great deal on a variety of beverages and try some of the restaurants most popular dishes for $10 or less.
- Craft beers and cocktails at The Wheel: The newly opened bar on the east side is the perfect respite from “winter weather."
- Beer tasting at Independence Brewing: Visit the brewery's newly updated tasting room, complete with a wraparound bar, additional seating and beer taps. Tasting room hours: Thursday and Friday: 5-9 pm; Saturday: 1-7 pm