Father’s Day is right around the corner, but there’s still plenty of time to plan the perfect day. Whether your dad has a taste for aged Bourbon and Prime Rib or enjoys a quiet patio with an ice cold beer, we’ve got a round up that’s sure to please. Here’s where to eat, drink, shop and stay on dad’s day:
Eat & Drink
· W Austin has been holding on to its stash of Pappy Van Winkle for a special occasion and they decided that Father’s Day is just the day. The Living Room Bar will release its hold of whiskeys form the Old Rip Van Winkle Family distillery and Buffalo Trace Distillery, available in very limited quantity.
· The hotel’s favorite Buffalo Trace bourbon (that they carry on a regular basis) will be offered for a special price of $10 for Father’s Day, (regular $12). All US beers will be on special at $4 as well. The remainder of the list will be available until it’s gone… the list includes the Old RIP Van Winkle 10year ($15), Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year ($20), Pappy Van Winkle Family Collection 20 year ($60) as well as the Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection ($50).
· TRACE’s Sunday Happy Hour will take place from 3-5pm and Dad can sit on the restaurant’s lush outdoor patio space, enjoy the end of the live music featured during brunch. Treat him to bites such as smoked brisket tacos, crispy crab cakes, Hamachi crudo and Chef Kocurek’s famous charcuterie and take advantage of great drink specials in a scenic spot perfect for people watching.
· If you’re looking from something a little more formal, treat dad to TRACE’s Spring Dining Series where he can select two dishes for just $25. Never fear, the specialty menu will include a great steak special that week too. Great steak makes for happy dad.
· Opening early at 2pm on Father’s Day, head to Sullivan’s Steakhouse for a meal fit for even the biggest of appetites. Give hungry dads the gift of meat with a 16oz Prime Rib special served alongside Garlic Mashed Potatoes for $36. Dads will also be able to register to win a Jack Daniels Party Grill with a tool set – a perfect gift heading into summer. Enjoy $7 Kentucky Mules, a spin on a traditional Moscow Mule using dad’s favorite libation - Whiskey.
· For dad’s day, the popular downtown dining destination Searsucker will be serving a prime rib special both during brunch and at dinner.
· The downtown “hidden gem” The Bonneville is perfect for a dad wanting a really tasty meal with a great view. Dad can enjoy the quiet ambiance of the restaurant while taking in views of Lady Bird Lake. The husband and wife chef team from New England have put together two specials for Father’s Day: for brunch they will offer a Dad's Special consisting of a steak and eggs with bacon tater-tots and their new Barrel Aged Bloody Mary, all for $20. For dinner, try the 3 Course pre-fixe for $35.
· Truth be told, dads love beer and what would make him happier than a 6-pack of his favorite brew? Independence Brewing’s White Rabbit is a drinkable yet robustly flavored white ale perfect for the rising temps. Heading to your favorite watering hole for Father’s Day? Bring along a 6-pack of White Rabbit, available only through the summer, so stock up!
· If you’re looking to knock back a cold one with dad, head to Gibson Street Bar. With 16 craft beers and a great wine and bubbles list, your dad is sure to have a good time. Plus, just for Father’s Day, Gibson is offering $6 Maker’s Mark Old Fashions. What more could you ask for?
· The perfect gift for the discerning dad, By George’s Private Label shirts are sure to have him looking effortlessly stylish. With fabric and materials hand-selected by By George co-owner Matt Culmo and prices starting at $165, you can’t go wrong. The expertly crafted Italian shirts are as versatile as he is. Available at By George Man in the flagship location (524 N. Lamar).
· Give dad the gift of relaxation (you know he deserves it) and let W Austin’s AWAY Spa pamper him like a rock star. Featuring popular skincare Jack Black products, the Man Up Facial is specially crafted to address the needs of male skin as its steamed, scrubbed, rubbed, and conditioned to perfection. This treatment is simple, effective, and skin instantly looks and feels clean and reanimated. 60 min/$120. This is one of the only places you can enjoy an incredible bourbon cocktail, get a men’s-only facial, workout and relax at the pool – all in the same building!
· For the active dad (or the dad who wants to get in shape), Dancers Shape proves Pilates & Barre aren’t just for women. Created by a former Rockette for a small group of NFL players attending classes at the studio, the intense Athletic Conditioning class focuses on balancing strength and length in opposing muscle groups throughout the body to promote optimal sports performance. From professional athletes to the sports novice – this class will offer cross training benefits for all fitness levels.
· If your dad has a knack for technology, the iPad Stand from Petrified Design is both a unique and useful gift. Powder-coated for durability with a wooden slate, this iPad holder is masculine, sleek, and just $48.
· Moved away from home but still want to spend time with dad? Invite him to your adopted home city without having to host him at your casa. Instead, let him luxuriate at W Austin. Rates for Father’s Day start at $270. Go ahead and book him a room and spend some time together poolside or pulling out a record in the Living Room Bar.